Crossfit Open 19.4 Recap
Crossfit Amsterdam Infinity War - In time you will know what it’s like to lose.
“ I know what it’s like to lose. To feel so desperately that you’re right, yet to fail nonetheless. As lightning (snatches) turns the legs to jelly. I ask you to what end? Dread it, run from it, destiny arrives all the same. And now, it’s here. Or should I say, I am.” - Thanos Infinity war or in the case of 19.4 Bar Muscle Ups.
Friday the 15th of March, a small but determined group of earth’s finest, gathered to take on the challenge of CrossFit Open 19.4 After a brief and early battle with the children of Thanos, where Ebony Maw (Snatches) and Proxima Midnight (Bar facing burpees) had to be defeated, the Avengers were able to proceed to the battle with their nemesis Thanos (BMU) and try and make sure he didn’t get ahold of the remaining infinity stones.
All athletes managed to make it to try and fight Thanos, with everyone realising immediately that the previous section of the war in Wakanda, even with the 3 minutes of rest between, had done some serious damage to the body. The combination of snatches and bar facing burpees and then bar muscle ups/pull ups and more bar facing burpees seemed like a cruel and twisted joke, but it wasn’t. The pain through the shoulders, the chest and triceps, much like Ant-Man’s weak character development, was real.
There were some notable performances during the battle in Wakanda
- Lout “Loki” Balkbir - Making Bar Muscle Ups look very easy, it looked like he was floating!
- Marnu “Peter Quill” Breitenbach - Also making the bar Muscle Ups look sharp especially under fatigue. An actual quote on the night from the man himself “ Don't forget this might be dangerous, so let's put on our mean faces “
- Michaela “Gamora” Sebkova - Getting her first bar muscle up and then proceeding to get another seven after that, however has continually been overheard talking about her fellow coaches - "I am going to die surrounded by the biggest idiots in the galaxy."
- Rick “Ironman” Konst - Making the Bar muscle ups look easy but then making the bar facing burpees look like he had never done them before, I did hear him say on the night “ Rick Konst. Iron Man. It has a nice ring to it. I mean it’s not technically accurate. My suit is a gold titanium alloy, but it’s kind of provocative, the imagery anyway. “
- Daan “Drax” Konning - Getting his first bar muscle up and then proceeding to get another four after that. “It’s like a pirate had a baby with an angel “ actual words uttered after his first BMU.
- Maarten “Dr Strange” Greven - Getting into the second round of Bar muscle ups with some crisp and great looking technique. "You're full of tricks, wizard." Comment from the crowd surrounding him.
- Pepijn “Rocket Racoon” Lagerberg - Greatly improving his Pull up technique and ability from several months ago and getting through a lot of Pullups. “Yeah, but this Thanos guy you’re talking about, he’s the toughest there is”
- Vera “Wanda Maximoff” Ten Hacken - Always doing things quickly! She was heard muttering to herself "I can't control their fear, only my own."
So now we have reached the final chapter of our open story, or as it’s commonly known - The End Game.
What will this final installment bring? How will our heroes reverse the damage caused by Thanos? We don’t know much about the final chapter, but we can guess that Thrusters (Captain America) will be there to help, Pull Ups (Bruce Banner) will rear his angry head and it could be forgiven for thinking that Muscle Ups (Captain Marvel) might make a timely appearance as well. It’s been an exciting journey thus far across the galaxy, but let’s hope we can get this final stage complete so we can all live happily ever after.